Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday Blog Post: Procrastination Week

I haven't done my writing practice today. Again. I feel like such a fool for admitting that out loud, but it's true. Today was hard, because of the way my schedule fell - I closed last night, opened this morning, came home to find my couch and a long nap while watching Food Network.

Tomorrow, I promise, back to the notebook. I've always been the type to push myself beyond my limits, and I know I have too much on my plate at the moment. Time to slow down, take a deep breath, and let my creative energies recharge for the night, like the nap did for my body. (Naps, in case you were wondering, are one of the best things in the world. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.)

As a warning, I may not get to Friday's writing response until sometime late Friday night or on Saturday. Friday is the day of the big move, including dismantling my computer. The new place has wireless and I'm sure I'll be up and running in no time, but I figured I would give anyone waiting a notice in advance.

On a side note, this doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about writing. A new character popped into my head while at work yesterday, just based on the name on a customer's credit card - Tessa. Not sure where I'm going to use her yet, or how long it will take to flesh out her background, but the idea definitely got rolling in my head. And between drinks, character ideas are always welcome.

Getting a chance to write everything I come up with down in time, however, is a bigger challenge, one I'm sure every writer faces. I've taken to jotting quick notes on my hand between customers. The ink stays on my hands for a day or two, and if I can't transcribe my thoughts before then, tough cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I get ideas for characters based on people I deliver mail to too, as well as seeing different houses and stuff. It's really neat.

    I left you a message on twitter, don't know how much of your personal life you're sharing on here so curious minds want to know. Well, at least this curious mind.

    Best of luck with the big move! You'll have to send me your new address so I can send you a roomwarming present.

    ReplyDelete