Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: A Letter From Your Characters

I first saw this idea in The 3 A.M. Epiphany by Brian Kiteley. This week, let one of your characters do the talking, whether in an online blog post, a journal entry, a letter they'll never send. Kiteley called this exercise "Letters From Inside the Story," and it was one I wanted to try the second I got the book. It's full of different prompts, grouped together by the writing technique or topic they emphasize. The book is definitely worth a read if you're looking for some inspiration.

One of my biggest flaws I've been noticing in my writing lately is voice. It's not easy for my characters to sound distinctive; I'm noticing this especially when comparing Emma to Zeke, or Anitra to Briyant. By giving a character a chance to reveal something intimate, in their own voice, without the fear of another character listening in, I'm hoping to tap into something real.

This is another exercise that, more than likely, will not make it into the final draft of your story. I'm just hoping I stumble upon a character's deep, dark secret. Either way, I'll let you know how it goes on Friday!

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment