Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Fall Out Boy

If you've been following this blog at all, you know I'm a big fan of song lyrics as prompts. My favorite bands are the ones that acutally say something in their lyrics; while the music may be catchy, it's the words that stick with me when the song is over.

Fall Out Boy is probably my second favorite band, as I lump Jack's Mannequin and Something Corporate together under the heading, "Andrew McMahon is amazing." FOB's lyrics always manage to catch me off guard in a good away, the kind I find myself quoting all the time. Infinity on High is, in my opinion, their best album, an experiment for the band and yet still maintains their signature sound. Here are just a few of my favorites:

- Take two years and call me when you're better. ("The Carpal Tunnel of Love")
- I read about the afterlife but I never really lived. ("Saturday")
- I'd promise you anything for another shot at life. ("Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes")
- The kid was alright, but it went to his head. ("Fame > Infamy")
- He tastes like you, only sweeter. ("Thnks Fr Th Mmrs")
- The best part of "believe" is the lie. ("Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year")


By now, you all know the drill. Pick a lyric and see where it takes you, and I'll do the same. I have every intention of getting to this prompt, but we'll see - my birthday is Thursday and I don't have an extravagant plans, but I will be doing something. With any luck, I'll have something to show on Friday.

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment