Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Backstories

Forgive me - this is posted a day late! I had everything written up and completely spaced last night. I suck :(

Last week's blog post got me thinking: Too many of my characters lack decent backstories. Take, for example, my novel And You Tell Me I Am Home. We have Emma Wilson. She's a barista who always wanted to be a writer, even went to school for English, and was still sad about one of her best friends moving away after high school. Oh, and she recently broke up with her boyfriend.

And that's it. The structure is so thin, it's anorexic. And no one wants an anorexic plot.

Does this sound like one of your characters? If so, this is the week to fix it. Your challenge, and mine, is to work on some backstory for a character you're struggling with. This work may never end up becoming part of the final story, but it's information you, as the writer, need to know.

I'm hoping this will help me get to know Emma, maybe Zeke and Leigh too, a little better before starting the next draft of the novel. I could certainly use an extra kick of inspiration. Friday's post will hopefully have some awesome results.

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment