Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Writing Response for September 25, 2009

I went in a different direction than I originally planned with this week's writing prompt. My first thought was to write out the major points in Emma's history, like a timeline of events. Instead, I used my writing practice to tackle a few scenes set before the novel begins, before Zeke moves away. I found myself coming up with details I hadn't thought of before, like the fact that Emma has a younger brother, Craig. I'm going to stick with this a bit and see where it goes.

At some point, I do want detailed histories for my characters. For now, I'm just happy to know a little more about them. This snippet shows a bit of that, told from Emma's point of view.



---


"Besides," Leigh added, flopping down on the couch like she owned the place, "we were out ghost hunting, and you know how Emma gets whenever we go out to Hell Hollow."

"You killed the lights on the car!" Emma wasn't about to let her best friend portray her as some sort of scaredy cat, afraid of the dark. "In case you didn't notice, there's no moon tonight. We couldn't see a thing."

"We had a flashlight."

"That you kept taking away from me every time you thought you heard something!"

This, at least, brought a hint of a smile to Zeke's face. It was a start, and that was enough for Emma. "You went ghost hunting without me? Guess I really do need to answer my phone more often."

Leigh rolled her eyes. "Obviously. Since I don't think we'll be able to talk Emma into going back out - which is a shame, by the way, I wanted to go to Trinity Church tonight - what are we doing for the rest of the evening? Your parents are out for the time being, yes?"

No comments:

Post a Comment