Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Your Heroes

I finished reading Julie & Julia over the weekend. It's a quick, funny, fascinating read about two of my favorite subjects: cooking and online blogs. My copy is dog-eared in all sorts of places for quotes I like and ones I want to turn into away messages on AIM. This is definitely a book I'd recommend for a quick, summer read.

Julie Powell's admission of how much Julia Child changed her life got me thinking about who my own heroes were. In Julie's case, it's not even someone she'd ever met, but someone who had an impact over time, over the course of her project - trying to cook her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

I have several heroes, people I respect, who have moved me. Andrew McMahon from Jack's Mannequin is a big one, but there are others - Mrs. Keane, my English teacher in high school; Tim Parrish and Robin Troy, my creative writing professors from college. People have an impact, and most of us don't even realize it. This week, write a few words about one of your heroes, big or small. This is not necessarily something for anyone else to read, though you can share it if you wish, but for you, to realize what these people mean in your life.

By writing about people, I ensure, once and for all, that I never forget about them. I always have that piece to look back on, to capture how I felt in that moment in time. Your pieces don't need to be very long, as long as they're honest. I'll let you know how my attempt went on Friday.

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment