Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Writing Response for August 21, 2009

I fail as a writer.

For the record, I love this week's prompt. Absolutely adore it. The lyric ones are always my favorite and this one was centered on my favorite artist. But time slipped away this week, and I have nothing to show for the days that passed between today and Monday, when I put the prompt up. I started looking for an apartment, scouring the Internet and Craigslist, seeing a few impromtu places. (Neither of which are going to work out, I'm fairly certain.)

And, as such, it's now Friday and I have nothing to show for it. This just adds to my already pretty rotten mood today. I do have another snippet from my writing practice, a piece of a new scene from the Imperial Story - that much, at least, I managed to get done. No comments expected on this piece; it's mostly up to prove that, yes, I did do some writing this week.

I will come back to this prompt. When I do, I'll let you know.



---


We could just see the figure approaching us now, dressed in fatigues, blending in with the woods surrounding him. It was hard to tell for sure, but this wasn't an Imperial uniform I'd ever seen. "We have you in our sights," Briyant called into the woods. "Put down your weapon and I give you my word this will go over peacefully."

"Like hell I'm putting down my weapon, just as soon as you lower yours." There was something familiar in that voice, like I'd heard it before, but I couldn't put my finger on where. "That's my vehicle you all happen to be poaching and my friend who's still in it, so don't think I won't shoot you if I feel like it."

"No one's poaching anything. We're travellers. Came across the wreckage, looking for survivors." Briyant's voice was steady, but I still reached for my own gun, preparing myself for what might happen if this ended badly. "Come out, and we can discuss this like men."

"Discuss?" The man laughed, taking another couple steps forward. I could see he was definitely wounded now; one leg was twisted behind him, dragging along the forest floor. How he managed to walk at all was nothing short of a miracle. "You'll kill me, loot the vehicle, burn the remains. I've seen it a dozen times. You don't scare me."

No comments:

Post a Comment