Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Character Sketches

Everyone has a different approach as far as building their characters is concerned. I've mapped out and brainstormed characteristics; I've written scenes and been surprised at what I've found. But one of my favorite ways to learn a character is to make a bio sheet of him or her.

Applications for online, journal-based RPGs are a great example of this kind of biography. When writing, you're forced to think about different aspects of your character, not that just if he has blond or brown hair and likes to play guitar. A well-rounded character has likes and dislikes, weaknesses and strengths, just like a real person does. No one is perfect, and your characters should represent tha as well. After all, the too-perfect characters become stereotypes, at the very least, and they no longer surprise you during the writing.

Your challenge this week is to write one such character bio, either for a new character or one you're struggling with. (I may choose Zeke from And You Tell Me I Am Home, because I don't feel like I know him as well as I should, one draft into the story.) I've provided a version to use here, but feel free to add or subtract categories as needed for your character.


Name:
Nicknames (if any):
Age/Date of Birth:
Physical Description:
- Things like height, weight, eye and hair color, what clothing they wear, etc.
Personality: - More than just likes and dislikes; is he friendly, outgoing, shy, etc.?
Personal History: - Everyone has a story, including your characters. What happened to get them to this point?
Family Members/Relatives/Closest Friends: - Flesh out the character's relationships, the important ones at least, even if you never see them in the story.
Philosophy on Life: - Is the glass half full or half empty? Why?
Strengths and Weaknesses: - Everyone has both; remember to keep them in balance. Not everyone can be Superman, after all. But no one is completely bad, either.


The idea here is to flesh out a character, more than you may see in the story itself. It may give you some new ideas to add when a story is stuck in a rut. Remember, just because the reader may not know why a character does something, doesn't mean that you, as the writer, don't need to know it.

If anyone tries this and finds it helpful, please let me know! I'm always curious to see what these prompts produce for other writers. I'll let you know how my character profile went on Friday!

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment