Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Andrew McMahon 1

Writing up a response on Andrew McMahon last week reminded me of a prompt idea I had a while back: Jack's Mannequin and Something Corporate lyrics. I'm biased, I'll admit; I happen to think he's a brilliant songwriter and all around great guy. The lyric prompts are one of my favorites too, mostly because I never know what I'm going to get out of them. The hardest part this week was choosing which lyrics to include!

Here are the lyrics:

- I'm gonna hang the sun above your bed and soak your hair in bleach. (Jack's Mannequin, "Miss California" - not sure why I love this one so much, but it strikes me every time)
- My life has become a boring pop song and everyone is singing along. (Jack's Mannequin, "I'm Ready")
- Without you I don't sleep, just dream. (Jack's Mannequin, "Last Straw")
- You live the life you're given when the storm's outside. (Something Corporate, "Watch the Sky")
- She's praying to Jesus, she's pulling the trigger. (Something Corporate, "Me and the Moon")
- Thought I was lost, but I was stranded. (Something Corporate, "Fall")


Take these and run with it - see where they take you. My favorite part is when a prompt manages to surprise me, as I hope it does with you. I hope to have something Andrew-worthy by the time Friday rolls around.

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment