Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Go Exploring

Everyone has one or two places where they write - maybe not in the same spot at the same time every single day, but on a regular basis. For me, I have two places: my desk at home, where I work on my writing practice every morning and keep a spot empty big enough for my notebook, and the back room at work, where I write on my breaks and before my shift starts. I probably wrote at least a third of the first draft of And You Tell Me I Am Home from work.

This week's assignment deals not so much what you write as where you write it. Find some place new to write, and see how your work changes, or what new things inspire you. Have a favorite cafe where the music is just right and the baristas know your drink? Don't write there - try the one across the street instead. Drive out to the park or the lake or the beach and bring sunscreen and a bathing suit (depending on the weather, of course). Take a hike, take a walk, experience something new. I have a few ideas for where I might go, possibly taking the opportunity to explore downtown Portland a little.

Please feel free to drop me a line letting me know where you went and if creativity followed you. I'll be back on Friday to talk about where I went!

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

2 comments:

  1. It's both hard and easy for me to find new places to write. You know I'll write absolutely anywhere where I can plop down by myself and chill for an hour or so.

    Cemeteries, airports, cars, parks, cafe's, beaches, libraries, Chinese restaurants while awaiting a take-out order, buses...

    It's mostly in my journal though, not a particular story. I can't actually remember the last time I wrote a fictional story outside of the house/grandparents. (Fiction? Have I even touched fiction since 2005?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find I write at work or at home, and not many places in between. Borders sometimes, but this time around it didn't work out so well. When I was commuting I wrote pretty much all over campus, especially in the old student center if my homework for the next class was done.

    I would love to see you come back to fiction, btw.

    ReplyDelete