Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: Colors

How much of our world do we describe through color? Spring has finally sprung in southern Maine, and the trees are covered in the rich green of new leaves. Descriptions tend to be one of my challenges; I can show a character through their actions, through their dialogue, but I often forget how big an impact small details can make, including colors. Driving this weekend between Connecticut and Maine in the bright sunshine, seeing how beautiful the flowers where in my grandmother's yard - those are the moments I would like to practice capturing. As such, this challenge was born.

This week's prompt is to pick a color and infuse it in a piece of writing. I mean you should let it inspire you; maybe take a few minutes to brainstorm ideas asociated with this color, what thoughts come to mind. Focus on ways to show this color rather than saying, "His shirt was red." Is it crimson? Or the shade of two-day-old spilled wine? Does he remind you of the "redshirts" of Star Trek fame? Let's see if we can find new ways to describe the colors in our world.

If you try this, or any of the other prompts I've posted, feel free to let me know how it worked out for you. Comment here or drop me a link via my email. My attempt will, in theory, be up here sometime on Friday.

---

Don't like this week's prompt? Check out previous ones through the Monday Writing Prompt tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment