Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday Blog Post: Falling Behind

I haven't written in what feels like weeks. I don't want to count the days, because then I'll just feel worse, knowing that I let something I love fall so low on my list of priorities.

It's not that I don't want to, not really. I'm still working on reading all of my writing material - currently, an issue of The Writer and You Can Write a Novel by James V. Smith Jr. I've all but given up on my writing practice, which is sad, because I was doing so well with it previously. I understand the need to adjust to living in a new place and the resulting changes in routine - I no longer have to drive so far to work each day, which is awesome, but it's leaving me with more time to sleep in and procrastinate. But there's a part of me that feels like I need to get pen to paper soon, or I'm not going to be able to keep up with anything.

Hence my decision to postpone NaNoWriMo for another year. I'd like to think I could tackle it, but I'd rather save the energy for a real try at it than force myself to do it and get pissed off when I fail to reach 50,000 words. I don't even know what my next novel subject would be yet, and that's not good for starting any major project.

I am, however, rereading some of my old writing practice snippets, especially the Imperial Story clips. Some of the lines are actually really good, and I'd forgotten all about them. Maybe, just maybe, this will inspire me to get my ass back in the chair and back to work.

1 comment:

  1. I have to save Nanowrimo for another year too. USPS really does take too much out of me this time of year, working like 12 hour days every day :(. And the motherboard on my laptop is about to become a big ball of fail, so I have to take it in for repairs. There goes the neighborhood!

    Did you know the 3AM Epiphany has a sequel, the 4AM Breakthrough? I found it in Canada and bought it. And I bought another awesome book on writing that I think you would like, The Fire in Fiction. It poses exercises for developing characters and stories and I think I'm going to work my way through that book this month instead of Nanowrimo.

    ReplyDelete