Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Writing Prompt: No "E"

I remember this writing prompt from American Studies. Our assignment was to write a 100 word essay without using the letter E anywhere in the piece. It was also the only assignment where we didn't have to prove a point or support an opinion. Accomplishing this is much harder than one might think it to be - how many common words use the letter E? "The" is now completely off limits. So are past tense verbs that end in "-ed," using words like "he" and "she."

Here is my original piece, from American Studies. Keep in mind that I was 16 when I wrote this, when I was in my big Highlander phase (and I'm still a huge fan of the show):


Duncan walks a road in Paris, with only his katana in his hand and a familiar thought on his mind. It is his duty to fight this man, at this hour. His body calls for blood, though his soul is loath to submit. A factory, long vacant, is a location for such a fight. Dark shadows call to him from all walls, surrounding him, and for an instant, Duncan is afraid. From such shadows, a buzz assails him, informing him of approaching Immortal company. With his katana in an apt fighting position, Duncan shouts his cry to arms: "Now, only a man can stand, not two!"


My challenge with this prompt is to write a coherent piece between 150 and 200 words without using E once. I haven't tried this in a long while, so it's something for me to work on as well.

Good luck - I hope to post my version on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment